From Conky PitStop
I have worked with several music apps and getting them to work with conky. So when my good friend Ivanovnegro asked me to create a conky for Deadbeef, with cover art, it was a challenge that I could not pass up.
This is the result of my efforts on how to create a Deadbeef Conky with cover art: Deadbeef-conky.tar.gz
The file contains everything you need:
- you'll need to extract and compile this.
- Basically this page in text format for your convenience.
HowTo: Create a Deadbeef Conky
- First you will need Deadbeef:
- with the plugin Album Artwork setup and functioning
- ... you must do this in Deadbeef to have images even show up
(From Deadbeef Help)
Album Art Display
To display album artwork, you need to follow the steps below
- add new column, select Album Art type
- right click on the playlist column headers,
- and in context menu select "group by"
- submenu: Artist/Date/Album
- You will also need the DeaDBeeF-MPRIS-plugin installed, it is included in the archive above (08 Sept. 11) you may find a newer version here:
- You must compile it yourself, instructions are included
Now the files
- Save to your /home/user directory
- Start your conky in a terminal with:
$ conky -c ~/.conkyrcdb -q -d &
starting conky in a terminal allows you to see any errors that may show up.
Next; the two files called in the .conkyrcdb, copy both of these to your /home/user directory and:
- conkyDeadbeef.py (make sure it is executable)
- Note: The template is the file you will need to edit to make changes to the appearance of the information on your desktop.
A bash script for the cover art: db-cover.sh
- Copy this to your /home/user directory and make sure it is executable.
The dbeef.png is included in the file attached at the top of the page for your convenience, you can see it here: dbeef.png
Save it in ~/images
That's it, you are done.
Remember to change the template to suit your tastes.
A Special Note
I need to give props to Kaivalagi as the mastermind behind so many python Conky scripts. It is his work that the conkyDeadbeef.py is based on.
Online support: The place to ask for support and discuss this script.